What is an API?
API is the American petroleum institute. It is one of the largest trade associations for the oil industry and for natural gas. It represents 650 and more corporations. API standards help in ensuring the alignment and they help in creating the common language and working culture. They work as the team towards building an API product. If your organization is aligned while using the API products as the key for transformation success the API products become critical.
What is an ISO standard?
ISO is the international standards organization that is internationally agreed by all types of experts. Think of them as the formula that helps in describing the best way of doing something. This can be anything from making a product to managing the process while delivering the supplying materials or services. These ISO standards cover a huge range of activities. The purpose of ISO standards is a non-governmental organization and an independent organization that develops the standards. It helps in ensuring the safety, efficiency, quality, system and the services.
Differences between API and ISO standards
The standards are developed by many publishing organizations and it governs the paths to develop the standardization products in the market. AI and ISO are 2 main manufacturers in the valves manufacturing, selection, design, quality, certification and testing at the possible importance. This article will help you know the difference between API and ISO standards.
1. API is dedicated more to energy and petroleum while ISO publishes industry specific standards very rarely.
2. Using API and ISO certified valves helps in only improving production and revenue. These also help in quality and in safety.
3. API companies help in implementing standards for licensing and certifications while ISO remains as the certification body where participation is voluntary.
4. ISO is specifically industry specific whereas API is dedicated to the energy and petroleum industries.
5. They are different in aspects of:
· Managements of change
· Design validation
· Prevention maintenance
· It helps in controlling with in the supply chain
· Contingency planning
· Emphasis of risk assessment and risk management
· Formal approach to the employees training and personnel competency.
The future of ISO and API
ISO has recognized the valve packing importance type of test API 622. It helps in working to create ISO 15848-3. It is an equivalent version to API by adopting the API standards 622 limitations. API is working underway for API changes. Following are some of the important changes that is proposed in the latest ballot:
1. It helps in aligning the requirements of ISO 9001: 2015
2. It helps in removing the prevention actions
3. Revision and addition of definitions
4. Revised requirements for evaluating supplies
5. Provide the product service and give organization examples.
API standards help in ensuring the alignment and they help in creating the common language and working culture. They work as a team towards building an API product. The purpose of ISO standards is a non-governmental organization and an independent organization that develops the standards.